Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Strawberry Mochi Cake

This story begins with a bit of failure. See those pretty little things below? Don't let them fool you. Although they were deliciously mouth watering they were a bit of trouble. First of all, a word to the wise. Do NOT bake these in cupcake liners!
Good thing I only baked a few trial ones in liners because I had to scrape these babies out of their shells. But those little bites I did get were pure heaven! Then, I baked them in a traditional pan and again, delicious, but way too moist due to the addition of the strawberries. My recipe for mochi cake is a bit 'chewier' than others, but I prefer it this way. When I added strawberries it just didn't hold up, sadly. But now I know that strawberries + mochi = one freaking delicious cake.
So, next time I'll use a 'drier' version of the mochi cake if I want to add strawberries. I added my recipe below but here's a link to the other recipe I've been talking about.
Mochi Cake


Yields: 1 large bundt cake
Original recipe from Kim, my friend.


1 stick butter, melted
2 tsp. vanilla
2 cups sugar
4 eggs, beaten (or 3, if you prefer a more dense cake)
2 tsp. baking powder
1 16 oz. box Mochiko flour
1 12 oz. can evaporated milk
1 13.5 oz. can coconut milk
2 - 3 cups stemmed and chopped strawberries

Mix everything together and put in a greased baking pan. Put in a 350 F oven for an hour, until an inserted toothpick comes out clean. Cool completely then enjoy.

8 comments:

  1. Oh, I've tried this wetter recipe before too. I like how it is chewier, but it is definitely wetter so I can see why the strawberries wouldn't work with it. I hope you try out the version I used. It's still pretty chewy and it's very versatile at holding other ingredients like strawberries, blueberries, cherries, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These look amazing! I've never heard of mochi cake. I have all this stuff in my pantry back home and I would love to try it soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The strawberry looks delicious! Though I never had mochi cake before, I'd say it looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those strawberry mochi cakes look so good!

    ReplyDelete
  5. These looks very tasty, Michelle! I tried one before that I think was the drier kind, but I lurrv chewy :). In case you haven't made it with blueberries, also highly recommended!

    ReplyDelete
  6. They look incredible....it ashame they stuck to the paper, they would have made killer cupcakes!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow these looks AMAZING! Definitely going to have to give them a try!

    ReplyDelete