Thursday, March 25, 2010

Pavlovas with Bananas in Cardamom Praline Sauce

Have you ever just looked at something so splendid that it really just made your heart flutter, literally, flutter? A quick flap of the heart that makes you feel nervous yet calmed at the same time? Quite luckily, I've experienced this more than once in my life. Most of the time associated with something larger in life than something as trivial as a pavlova, but the matters of the heart and what it desires cannot be controlled.
Call it odd as you may, but Pavlovas have always had a spell cast on me ever since I laid eyes on them. As fluffy and as delicate as a cloud in the sky, they're just plain beautiful.

Pavlova with Bananas in Cardamom Praline Sauce

Yields: 1 large Pavlova or 4 mini ones (4 servings)

Banana recipe can be found here.


For the pavlova:

3 egg whites

1/2 cup caster sugar

1/2 tsp. vinegar

1/2 tsp. cornstarch

1/2 tsp. vanilla


For the bananas:

1/2 stick unsalted butter

4 bananas, haved lengthwise, then crosswise

1/4 cup packed light brown sugar

1/2 cup heavy cream

pinch of ground cardamom

3/4 tsp. lime juice

Vanilla ice cream, for serving


To make the pavlovas, preheat the oven to 250 F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper, set aside. In a stand mixer, whisk the egg whites until soft peaks form. Slowly add the sugar, 1 tbsn. at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat until the mixture is smooth to the touch and their is no graininess. Fold in the cornstarch, vinegar and vanilla. Pour mixture onto your prepared baking sheet and form into a round (of four mini ones, if you want), creating a shallow depression in the center of each. Bake for 1 hour and 15 minutes or until the pavlova is cream colored and the surface is dry and crisp. Turn off the oven and leave the oven door ajar. Allow the pavlovas to cool in the oven until they can be handled.


To make the bananas, heat 1 tbsn. butter in a 10 inch heavy skillet over moderately high heat until the foam subsides. Then saute half of the bananas, cut sides down first, turning over once, until golden, 1 1/2 to 2 minutes total. Transfer with a slotted spatula to a bowl. Repeat with remaining bananas. Melt remaining 2 tbsn. butter in skillet over moderate heat, then add brown sugar, cream, cardamom, and a pinch of salt and simmer, stirring occasionally, until sauce is slightly thickened, about 2 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in lime juice. When ready to serve, place the bananas on top of the pavlova, top with ice cream then spoon sauce over everything.


A gooey-ooey, sticky, delicious mess.

9 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh this looks beautiful and my husband would LOVE it! Definitely bookmarking!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh these pavlovas are so beautiful my heart is literally fluttering too! I love the sauce on top of it :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay. I know that there is so much sweets already in this recipe, but, for me, it would be a whole lot nicer if there is a honey praline sauce on top of the Pavlova. Good luck with that. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, my! I think I just had one of those moments. My children would adore this too. They are extremely fond of all things banana!
    ~ingrid

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, this is just so beautiful and sounds incredibly delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  6. this is definitely the type of ooey-gooey, sticky, delicious mess that i'd like to consume. gunk all over the face is a small price to pay. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Why have I never tried a pavlova before? This must really be corrected ASAP are these look divine and sound like a dream. Don't worry, food matters are near and dear to my heart as well :).

    ReplyDelete
  8. @brown: honey praline is also a good suggestion for a syrup but in my opinion, raw orange blossom honey is also good. A syrup that will complement the flavor of the pavlova and the bananas will make the food more appetizing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, my I think I just had one of those moments. I love bananas and that sauce....
    ~ingrid

    ReplyDelete