Saturday, November 28, 2009

Pumpkin Cream Pies

I saw a recipe for pumpkin cream pie and I was astonished! It sounded so unbelievably perfect since I love, love, love cream pies. And guess what I did? Instead of making the custard, with all of its intense technique, listed in the recipe, I went back to my trusty faux-custard recipe that I've used for everything, including Boston cream pies, banana cream pies, fruit tarts AND cream puffs.
I added some pureed pumpkin and some spices and tada! Delicious pumpkin cream. Topped off with some whipped cream and pepita brittle??? Yeah... you know that's gonna be good! I especially loved the pepita brittle because it added the needed change of texture: delicious crunchiness, and some salty goodness.
The pepita brittle was incredibly easy to make, so don't be afraid to attempt it. I think its almost too easy to mess up. Hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving!

Pumpkin Cream Pie

Yields: about 10 mini pies

Pie recipe slightly modified from this recipe. Original pepita brittle recipe can be found here.


1 9-inch prepared graham cracker crust

(I used 10 mini graham cracker crusts)


For the custard:

1 large box french vanilla pudding

1 1/4 cups whole milk

3/4 cup heavy cream

1 tsp. vanilla extract

1 tsp. pumpkin pie spice

1 15 oz. can pure pumpkin puree


For the pepita brittle:

butter or vegetable oil

2 cups sugar

4 oz. unsalted butter

1/3 cup light corn syrup

1/2 cup + 2 tbsn. water

1/2 tsp. baking soda

1 tbsn. sea salt

1 1/2 cups pepitas, raw and untoasted


To make the custard, mix together the pudding mix, milk, and heavy cream and beat until nice and thick, about 5 - 10 minutes. Stir in the vanilla, spices and puree. Mix well then pour and spread into the prepared pie crust. Set in refrigerator. Top with whipped cream if desired, then with the brittle


For the britte, line a large baking sheet with parchment paper or silpat. If using parchment, grease the paper with butter or oil. In a medium or large saucepan, combine the sugar, butter, corn syrup and water. Stir the sugar until it is completely moistened. Cook sugar over medium heat until it thickens. It bubbles quickly and often so keep an eye on it and reduce heat as necessary to keep it from bubbling over. The sugar mixture should turn golden after ten minutes. When it is just shy of the desired color, remove from heat and whisk in the baking soda and salt carefully. Using a heatproof spoon, fold in the pepitas and pour onto the baking sheet and quickly spread out evenly. Break it into pieces when completely cool, store in airtight container.

P.S. I will no longer be posting hostile, ill-mannered comments. Though I do believe that everyone has a right to express their opinions, I think that once racial slurs start to appear, a line has been crossed. A big thank you to everyone that reads this blog, who has supported it and I do hope you enjoy my posts :)

13 comments:

  1. Your blog is wonderful and we hope to share in your adventures for a long time. Speaking of which, these look just adorable. Can you send me just one, pretty please? ;p

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm kind of in love with your blog! You have GREAT fashion sense and I love your recipes! (I tried the Boston Cream Pie cupcakes...and they were amazing.)

    I hope this doesn't sound creepy, but we have A LOT in common...down to the "my blankie is falling apart".

    but, anyways this is my new favorite blog, hope you had a great Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't say that pepita brittle is too easy to mess up - because then I'll miss it up! These pies look so good - I would love to have one right now :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't believe that I some how missed your faux custard recipe. Your mini pies look darlin'!

    I'm sorry that someone has been unkind to you!
    ~ingrid

    ReplyDelete
  5. Xiaolu: One should be arriving at your doorstep shortly :P

    All Things Considered: Don't worry! It's not creepy at all and YAY for blankies!! Aren't they the bestest?

    Alicia: I'm sure (by the looks of your gorgeous blog), that YOU, of all people could not mess the brittle up :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Apparently i'm quite impressionable - just got home, and now just popping out to get ingredients to make these :-) Your tailored tuesday's make my week!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow this looks really good. What kind of french vanilla pudding do you use? I've been looking around for a while, and I just can't seem to find any.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just use Jello brand, but you can use a regular vanilla to substitute, maybe just add an extra 1/2 tsp. of vanilla extract to it to give it some extra flavor :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've been in love with your blog since early summer and wanted to tell you how AMAZING each recipe I've tried has turned out. Thank you for giving such detail to each one!

    ReplyDelete
  10. @ erin: thank you so much! i am so happy that my recipes have worked out so well for you :)

    ReplyDelete